From [[http://cpsquare.org CPsquare]], the community of practice on communities of practice.
This tool allows for real-time meetings with a view of the speaker and/or a view of all participants. Often combined with other synchronous tools, such as teleconference, application sharing or web meeting platforms. Video conferencing can range from a low-resolution add-on to an Instant messaging tools or similar tool to high capacity, TV-quality set-up where people meet in special-purpose facilities.
Uses in communities of practice
For meetings with 2-100 people meeting virtually from many. Seeing facial expressions and gestures in real time can make communities feel "closer" to each other, sharing their thinking and representations of their thinking. For meetings or interactions from 2 members scaling up to hundreds. Video allows transmission of the speaker's visual representation and expression of some degree of body language which may enrich the communication. This make make it easier to discuss more complex or fuzzier issues, convey more "warmth" (compared to text). This may be a more comfortable medium for some, and more challenging for others. Video conferences can be recorded and shared with others who could not attend.
- Video capabilities
- Registration Management
- Resource Administration (I don't know what this means)
- Together/apart, Synch/Asynch: Both synchronous communication and recorded video are useful.
- Interaction/publication: Synchronous uses (like Skype video) support interaction, but recorded presentations are a useful kind of publication
- Individual/group: solitary and group viewing of videos showing one or many people are common.
- One to one video-phone calls. Video over IP makes this increasingly accessible if both partners have broadband access. Helps people get to know each other somewhat better.
- Many to Many Person Video for group discussion.
- When you want to see the other meeting participants but can't meet face to face, this is a solution.
- One to Many Person Video. Used to broadcast speaker to a group.
- See the speaker presenting a talk or presentation.
- Reservations and Confirmation. Make a reservation for people who will share the session. Automatically confirm reservations with entry code and message.
- Useful to setup the conference, make sure everyone arrives at the right time.
- Bandwidth Management Manage bandwidth and connection points to minimize latency, particularly with multiple servers in use. View in real-time all users and all expected users with the ability to terminate any user or group of users.
- Useful to minimize resources required to run a conference and ensure that everyone gets timely video and audio updates. Important for the network administrator to ensure correct operation.
- Compatibility. Multiple codec supported protocols. Multiple/Mixed Protocol Support
- Video Messages (3, 4) Video messages with audio to other participants.
- Send a message with the ability to convey body language and tone. put under ???? Cloud thing?
- Easy recording. A hand-held video recorder is part of many mobile phones, cameras and video-cameras. Informal capture of presentations, interviews and conversations for immediate sharing is usually called social reporting.
- Building up a library of video presentations can be a community resource.
- (some other tool)