Community site personalization
From [[http://cpsquare.org CPsquare]], the community of practice on communities of practice.
A set of easy changes to a site that make it fit with a community's needs or style. Ranges from color choices to the ability to switch tools on and off.
Uses in communities of practice
Individual needs and tastes are sometimes different than community norms. Some systems permit a user to change aspects of the user interace, such as font-size or use of graphics. How a community member presents themselves to the community is partly a community matter and partly and individual one. What aspects of the user-interface serve the experience of individuals in belonging to, interacting with, and/or leading a community. offers login, as well as general options and information. After login it often displays additional information, choices, and navigation.
1. User control of look and feel
I don't know what this means " How a community member presents themselves to the community is partly a community matter and partly and individual one." And what it has to do with personalization - which I think means only visible to the individual?? Does this include subscriptions or should it reference subs?
- Together/apart, Synch/Asynch:
- Change personal characteristics Changing user name, email address, photo, etc. Little attention has been paid to this issue, but it will increase in importance as community technology becomes more widespread.
- Time zone Member can specify a time zone and have all time appear in this time zone. …and have all time indicators appear in their preferred time zone.
- Preferences Search preferences, order of resources, view of discussions (for whole site). nancyw: Hm, need to think about this across more tool types. I think can be expanded a bit. In some cases it is also where subscription stuff lives so there is some cross over
- Personalization templates A menu of alternative color schemes, layout, and default content chosen by a specific user.
- Interface internationalization User interface can be offered in different languages, either at the user's choice or upon login based on a profile When the community has non-English primary language or mixed languages. In the past, much of the software has had an English interface by default.
- How expandable for expert users? interace is same for everyone?
See: organizing visits, attention markers. reifying attention ?