Published community of practice case studies: What are your favorites? Which are the best?
Where I’m coming from: Several people have recently asked me, “John, what are the good published case studies of communities of practice? My first reaction was variously, “How many do you want?” and “What angle — there are so many that you have to specify what context to have a useful answer”. Well, maybe there are even more angles to the question, like deliberately cultivated (by an outsider) vs garden-variety? in an what organizational context? in what country or cultlural context?
Here is an extract of what people in CPsquare offered in response to my question:
Aimee deChambeau: while not a case study per se, my dissertation addresses CoPs among graduate students and how they contribute to student success.
- deChambeau, Aimée. (2014) Supported Student Success: Communities of Practice in Higher Education. Available from PQDT Open: http://pqdtopen.proquest.com/
- Sharpe, R. & Mackness, J. (2010). Evaluating the development of a community of e-learning researchers: from short-term funding to sustainability. International Journal of Web Based Communities, 6(2), 148. Available at: https://radar.brookes.ac.uk/radar/file/cc59ef86-b37d-2975-d2fa-3a44a10807ea/1/sharpe2010evaluating.pdf
- Guldberg, K. & Mackness, J. (2009). Foundations of communities of practice: enablers and barriers to participation. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning. Wiley-Blackwell. Available at: http://eprints.bham.ac.uk/260/1/JCAL2June09KG_JM.pdf
- Guldberg, K., Mackness, J., Makriyannis, E. & Tait, C. (2013). Knowledge Management and value creation in a third sector organisation. Knowledge and Process Management Available at: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256122863_Knowledge_Management_and_Value_Creation_in_a_Third_Sector_Organisation
- Siemens Technoweb – a hub for hundreds of small networks. https://heisss.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/32/
- A Case Study from the Automotive Industry: Dr. Patricia Wolf, Hochschule für Wirtschaft (HSW) Luzern, Switzerland (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Abdul Samad (Sami) Kazi, VTT – Technical Research Centre of Finland (Sami.Kazi@vtt.fi)
- R Michaelides, M. Tickle and S.C.Morton, Online Communities of Practice for innovation and knowledge transfer: A case study in the U.K.
- Saint-Onge H., & Wallace, D. (2003) Leveraging Communities of Practice for Strategic Advantage. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann. 400 pp. Download the book at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9780750674584
- MacGillivray, A. (2011). “The Application of Complexity Thinking to Leaders’ Boundary Work” in Moving Forward with Complexity: Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Complex Systems Thinking and Real World Applications. Emergent Publications: Litchfield Park, Arizona. Table of Contents. http://4km.net/who-we-are/writing-and-publications/
- “Is the Treatment the Cure? A Study of the Effects of Participation in Pastoral Leader Peer Groups”, Austin Presbyterian Seminary April, 2010Austin seminary study has several anecdotes and multiple outcome measures http://www.austinseminary.edu/uploaded/continuing_education/pdf/SPE_Survey_Report_and_Analysis_April_2010.pdf
- Implementing a Virtual Community of Practice for Family Physician Training: A Mixed-Methods Case Study Stephen Barnett, et al. (J Med Internet Res 2014;16(3):e83) doi:10.2196/jmir.3083
- Essence of Distributed Work: The Case of the Linux Kernel, by Jae Yun Moon and Lee Sproull, First Monday, volume 5, number 11 (November 2000), URL: http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue5_11/moon/index.html
- Andreas Lloyd: A system that Works for Me – an anthropological analysis of computer hackers’ shared use and development of the Ubuntu Linux system. Department of Anthropology, University of Copenhagen, June 2007 http://eskar.dk/andreas/lloyd_thesis.pdf.
- Nancy M. Dixon, Nate Allen, Tony Burgess, Pete Kilner, and Steve Schweitzer, CompanyCommand: Unleashing the Power of the Army Profession (New York: The Center for the Advancement of Leader Development and Organizational Learning, West Point, 2005). http://askmagazine.nasa.gov/issues/27/27i_company_command.html and http://isbn.nu/9780976454106